Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It just keeps getting better

The film that is.

Each time I see it I am stuck anew at the beauty of the visual imagery, the crisp dialogue, and the fact that suspense is delivered via both of these as opposed to FX or computer generated images. Enhanced by Mark Snow's soundtrack, which plays like a support in the best way possible. It is story telling in the very best way possible, something the X Files television show was known for. 

With a little more illumination this time. In spots. 

Okay, that was my attempt at humour and the whole flashlight thing from the series. 

I can't fathom 30 or 106 million dollars, 106 being the average cost of a Hollywood flick these days, and 30 the number I Want to Believe was made for. Give or take a few thousand here or there. 

I am by no means any sort of an expert in any of this, I'm in education, a far cry from the world of tinsel town. There is one thing, though, I think holds true for many endeavors; it is often not how much money you have, it's how you use what you have available. Having less can lead to some incredible creativity.

Which is why kids will often toss the toy and play with the box. 

They get it. We adults often think it's the amount we have that determines the quality of a product. 

Not so. 

Ask any kid with a box. 

Ciao

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary said something along the lines of 'we've been given a $30 million gift' and we really have. As ever, it's what they don't show us that makes it so creepy. It was made for the fans and while it makes me sad that not everyone in the fandom loved it, I feel spoiled rotten and so honored to be a fan of this series. And the movie made me love BC that much more. I didn't think that was possible. *heart explodes*
-Alex