Monday, August 4, 2008

Movie Reviews

I've avoided most of them, though I've heard the rumblings. I think the best review ever came from John Kenneth Muir, linked here

His is a far more eloquent summation than mine would be, but let me say, I concur wholeheartedly. 

I couldn't help but respond to his well thought out treatment of the film, and offer a few of my own thoughts on this here.

The central theme of redemption resonates in many of our hearts, making some uncomfortable enough to dismiss the entire film rather than deal with what is brought to the surface. It has always been easier to point fingers outward than deal with what is in our own hearts. Father Joe symbolizes the heart of the redemption story central to many faiths, and highlights our own state. A central theme that states: if we cannot forgive others, than we ourselves are not forgiven. This reality would not have been lost on the character of Scully, brought up in the Catholic faith. 

The following passage may be familiar, it begins with Peter (I love Peter) wondering how many times he should forgive someone, and he generously, or so he believes he is being generous, offers the number seven.

'Up to seven? "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven."'

A brief explanation here. Peter thought he was being generous offering to forgive seven times in his lifetime. Jesus' response, seventy times seven, refers to a daily allotment. In other words, as many times as is needed. 

Which brings us back to Father Joe, wondering if his God can look past his transgressions, his crimes. I'd like to think the answer to that is yes, God is way bigger than we are. But practically, do we practice what we believe?

I believe that is part of Scully's struggle, the head knowledge of what she was taught as a child (I've been through those Catechism classes, so I know, it's in there), and the practical knowledge as a professional in the field regarding how damaged those young boys would be, and the struggle with wanting to (perhaps) inflict further punishment, deeming the past and current situation as not being enough. 

I wonder about her own feelings of being forgiven, or not, as it pertains to William. She is not that much different than Father Joe, in some respects, doing penance in their own way: hers in a hospital seeing the face of her son daily in the other children, Father Joe in seeing his sins reflected back each time he passes a fellow offender on the way in or out. 

Yes, the movie is much deeper than many had expected, as Muir states. If I could be so bold to share this line from his review: 

"Based on the savage reviews proliferating on the web and in print, audiences and critics apparently desired a Wrath of Khan, when what they actually get is...The Search for Spock."

I never intended to get too serious, this is after all, a somewhat frivolous fan blog. 

And so, this is where I shall end. 

Ciao





No comments: