Friday, July 11, 2008

About this blog

I have an inner fan girl. She was born back in the early seventies when David Cassidy and Donny Osmond (oh yeah), hit the airwaves. It must have been somewhere around 1970 or '71 (i would have been 12 or 13 at the time), that my father indulged my passion for all things Donny and took me and a couple of friends to a concert at the CNE (Canadian National Exibititon). Now this was against everything my Italian daddy thought he should be doing for his little girl. He listened to Charlie Pride and some obscure Italian music, thinking all this 'rock and roll' was going to lead to trouble, but i love him for putting all that aside and braving the crowds of squealing girls. And there were squealing fan girls. They were everywhere. There are moments from that trip that I can recall with clarity. Chasing the Osmond tour bus and Donny waving to us from his seat by the window. Wearing purple patch pocket jeans and a two-toned purple knit top i had bought for the occasion because, as any good fan girl knew, Donny loved the colour purple. Topping my ensemble off with a red, crushed velvet hat, recently arrived, ordered from the back pages of Tiger Beat magazine. Just like Donny's. I've been trying to hunt down that hat, but it must've gone the way of my old roller skates and magazines when my mom did a cleaning blitz. I still have my albums though. 

So, what does this have to do with the X Files, you ask?

That thirteen-year-old fan girl? She lives within me still. She had stars in her eyes and a dream to one day BE something. She dreamt of strolling down Rodeo Drive, standing in front of Mann's theatre and seeing those golden stars. She dreamt of glitter, lights and all things sparkly. She dreamt of visiting Hollywood and seeing stars. Both kinds, the ones in the sky and the ones walking down the street. 

I grew up. Well, actually, I never got any taller, but I certainly grew a little wiser, a little less gullible, somewhat more mature and a little more realistic about how the world around me ran. 

But that fan girl in me?

She's still thirteen and stubbornly refuses to grow up. She also found a new focus for her passion. In the early 90's, while raising three children, I discovered the X Files. And to be fair, it was my husband who pointed me in that direction, so whenever he complains I gently remind him it was his fault. 

My inner fan girl leaped with joy at this discovery, and somewhere during the show's run, we became one, my inner fan girl and I. One, as in two sides of a coin. Yin and yang. Batman and Robin. Mulder and Scully. The rational part of me is still in control, but once in a while fan girl squeezes out when my guard is down. 

Boy, did she squeeze out this year. In fact, i would be inclined to state that this year, the year of I Want To Believe, that my inner fan girl has busted out, taken over, has demanded to be counted and heard. 

So, that is what you're going to get. This won't be a 'forever' blog; it will be something i do over the next couple of weeks as my fan girl goes on the trip of a lifetime.

She's off to LA. 

Why, you ask?

Well, the X Files, of course. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the thing about growing older is no one says you actually have to grow up.

your inner fangirl has gone from squealing to squeeing. (at least not squeaking or shvitzing).

so go have fun. hats off to your inner fangirl from my inner fangirl. (and never ever tell em how old you really are.

Penny Lope said...

lolol - i love it. maybe our fan girls can have a night out - soon!