Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dreaming about packing

Yup. The whole packing thing is making me a little crazy. I've become a better packer, well most of the time. I never used to be. I was the kid who brought two large suitcases and had clothing hung (yes, i brought hangers) throughout the cabin when I went on my first away from home grade 7 bonding trip.  There is a picture somewhere, but that was before digital, uploading and all the new technology that has made my old SLR camera obsolete

I'd could scan it; but first, I'd have to find it. 

Trust me, it's true. 

So, i went online. You can find anything you want, and some things you don't want, on the internet. I found numerous sites that offered help with packing. I liked the one that instructed one to 'pick a basic colour, brown or black, and accessorize around it.' 

I can do black. I've loads of black. 

So, I started pulling things from my closet. Black things. And then some white. Then pink. Then a geometric patterned top in pink, orange, green (it had a little black in it).

I strung them around my room, trying to visualize each outfit and how they might go together, how i might change accessories to do the 'day to night' transition. 

I had a problem. 

You see, I grow attached to clothing. I collect clothing and my collection includes things such as an original pair of stirrup pants from the 50's, a classic 60's little black Jackie O number, and various items from the 70's and 80's. My closet is bulging, and the items i was choosing require their own set of shoes, accessories and so forth. They do not transition from day to night. 

Not only was that going to be a problem, but I am an emotional dresser. I have to feel it to wear it. So, some days I feel like putting it all together and presenting myself as a highly polished, finished person, and other times I live in my Lululemon's. I've been told my style is unique, funky. That always makes me chuckle, because it really comes from never throwing anything out. 

And always choosing ten more minutes of sleep over primping.

So, what did I do?

I left it all hanging and went back to finishing my paper. 

Paper is done. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having flown standby all my life, I've learned how to pack using only carry-on luggage and I've become quite the packing fiend. And I must say Lush products, especially the shampoo bars, are my best friend ever since the "no liquids" rule was implemented.

- Alex